[Midas] MIDAS for managing lab data

Michael Grauer michael.grauer at kitware.com
Thu Aug 23 12:20:25 EDT 2012

Hi Samira,

In the future, please send questions to the midas at public.kitware.com email
address, and you will get a faster (and possibly better) response.

In Midas we have the notion of Asset Stores, which are filesystem locations
where Midas will store a file.  As long as your application server can see
a mounted filesystem, you can use that location as an Asset Store.  In
other words, if you can mount the data server's file system onto the
application server then you can use that path as your Asset Store.

In the Administration menu (under the dropdown from your username when you
are logged in as an Administrative user), in the Assetstores tab, you can
create a new Asset Store, point the path to wherever the mounted path is on
the application server, set it as "Managed by MIDAS", then save the new
Asset Store.  Then set that new Asset Store as the default.  Be sure that
the permissions of the path you set allow for writing by the Apache user.

You can have Midas owned/uploaded files saved across multiple different
Asset Stores, so if you decide later that the given mount point is full and
want to add a new Asset Store, just add the new Asset Store and set that as
the default.  Midas files that had been saved in the old Asset Store will
still be available, and any new files will get saved to the new Asset Store.

I hope this is clear, let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,
Mike