[Midas] error message

Michael Grauer michael.grauer at kitware.com
Tue Aug 21 17:14:31 EDT 2012

Hi Mona,

Anything in the logs or your Apache logs?

It makes sense that you are getting a blank page since you disabled your
layout and view.  If you want to put some debug statements in as you work
through this, you can comment out those lines, then add them back once you
get the problem resolved.  My initial guess here is that it is related to a
permissions issue.  You are trying to create a file in /tmp, which on my
system is owned by root, but using the apache user (www-data on my system),
who wouldn't have permissions there.

Can you try creating a path based on $this->getTempDirectory() in your
controller (this method is inherited from the GlobalController) and see if
that works?  Your apache user should have the right perms there.  BTW,
perms are what people who are too lazy to write permissions write.

-Mike

On Tue, Aug 21, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Mona Wong <mona at sdsc.edu> wrote:

>         Sorry I forgot to post to the mailing list...
>
>         Ok, I didn't click on the "Save configuration" button after I made
> the change to Development.  I just did that and now I don't get the error
> message, just a blank page (which might be ok), but it seems my function is
> not being executed.  Here is my code:
>
> class Annio2_GetController extends Annio2_AppController
> {
>     public $_models = array ( "Item", "Folder" );
>
>     [other functions]
>
>     public function testAction()
>     {
>         $this->disableLayout();
>         $this->disableView();
>
>         $debug = fopen ( "/tmp/midas.get.mona", "a" );
>         fwrite ( $debug, "testAction!\n" );
>         fclose ( $debug );
>     }
> }
>
>         And I went to http://ourserver.edu/annio2/get/test and no
> /tmp/midas.get.mona was generated...
>
>         What am I doing wrong?
>
> Mona
>

> On Aug 21, 2012, at 1:29 PM, Mona Wong wrote:
>

> >       Ok, I changed from Production to Development mode and there is
> still nothing in the log and the error message is still the same.  I
> cleared the browser cache several times so I don't think I'm seeing cached
> page.  Do I need to restart Midas after changing the mode to dev?  If yes,
> how do I restart Midas?
> >
> > Mona
> >

> > On Aug 21, 2012, at 12:35 PM, Zach Mullen wrote:
> >
> >> If you turn your server from Production mode into Development mode, it
> should make an actual descriptive error message appear... I'm not sure why
> the line and file aren't appearing correctly there.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> Zach

>     Mona Wong
>     Web & iPad Application Developer