[Kwiver-users] ocv-arrow histogram equalization

Linus Sherrill linus.sherrill at kitware.com
Fri Jan 5 13:54:21 EST 2018

If we lump all image-in, image-out implementations under one algorithm
(e.g. filter_image), they will all appear in one list and it will be hard
to find what you are looking for. In this case, if there will be multiple
implementations for contrast enhancement, then I think it makes sense to
have a base algorithm for contrast_enhancement even though the code looks
the same as filter_image. This approach also constrains which algorithm can
be configured if it is limited to contrast_enhancement, rather than using
the broader category of filter_image.

Comments welcome.

On Fri, Jan 5, 2018 at 1:41 PM, Matt Brown <matt.brown at kitware.com> wrote:

> A bit of a semantics question, but I'd like to make an ocv arrow that does
> histogram equalization and another that stretches contrast in an image. The
> vital *image_filter* prototype fits in that an image goes in and one
> comes out, with the same resolution as the input as is typical of a filter.
> However, semantically, I'm not sure histogram equalization is really a
> filter operation. Does it make sense to:
>
>    1. Just call it a filter and be done with.
>    2. Create an effective duplicate of the filter algorithm and call it
>    something more in line with contrast enhancement.
>    3. plan to rename filter_image to something more generic like
>    process_image.
>
> Thanks,
> Matt

*Linus Sherrill - *Staff R&D Engineer