[Kwiver-users] [Kwiver-announce] About map-tk software

Matthew Leotta matt.leotta at kitware.com
Fri Jan 15 09:22:15 EST 2016

(I have moved this discussion to the kwiver-users list.  kwiver-users is the appropriate list for support questions.  kwiver-announce is just for announcements.)

Thank you for your interest in our MAP-Tk software.  The GUI is a new addition to MAP-Tk.  In the current release, the GUI is only used to visualize the results produced by the command line tools.  The next minor release of MAP-Tk (v0.8.0 - expected in February or March) will add some processing capability to the GUI, but not yet end-to-end processing of video.  Ultimately we plan to support end-to-end processing in the GUI, but it will take some time.  MAP-Tk is still a relatively new project and is still considered “pre-release” software.

You can process video with the command line tools, but there are a few caveats to be aware of.  First, direct support of video files is under development, so for now you will need to decode your video file into a sequence of image files (e.g. PNG or JPG).  You can do this with ffmpeg or various other tools.  Second, if you are using the precompiled binary packages for MAP-Tk v0.7.1 you should be aware of a known issue of missing libraries in the package (https://github.com/Kitware/maptk/issues/125 <https://github.com/Kitware/maptk/issues/125>).  We hope to have this resolved in a week or two and then we will release new binaries with MAP-Tk v0.7.2.

I’m planning to write a blog post in the future that provides a step-by-step tutorial for running MAP-Tk, so keep a look out for that.

—Matt