[Kwiver-users] [Kwiver-announce] About map-tk software

Matthew Leotta matt.leotta at kitware.com
Wed Feb 24 08:50:42 EST 2016

Biao Yang,

Again, please send requests for support to kwiver-users at public.kitware.com <mailto:kwiver-users at public.kitware.com> or CC that list when responding directly to me.

We are working on some additional high-level documentation for MAP-Tk.  Hopefully there will be a blog post out in a month or so with a guide on how to get started with MAP-Tk.  We are also working on direct support for video files, but that will take a little longer.  Im the mean time I suggest you use FFMPEG to extract frames.  The command will be something like this:

    ffmpeg -i myvideo.avi  frame-%05d.png

Then you can get a list of those frames to pass into MAP-Tk, for example using the “ls” command like this:

    ls -1 frame-*.png > frame_list.txt

If you have high frame rate video you may want to down sample the frames if there is a lot of redundancy between frames.  You can do this either at extraction time or by specifying a subset of frames in the text file.  To extract frames with FFMPEG at 1 frame per second try:

   ffmpeg -i myvideo.avi -vf fps=1 frame-%05d.png

If you extract all the frames, but only want MAP-Tk to operate on a reduced set, you could do something like this to get a list of every 10th frame:

    ls -1 frame-*0.png > frame_list.txt

Once you have extracted frames and the image files are listed sequentially in a text file you can set "image_list_file = frame_list.txt” in your MAP-Tk configuration files.

I hope this helps.
—Matt