[ITK-users] Ignore background pixels for gaussian filter computations

Matt McCormick matt.mccormick at kitware.com
Mon May 1 14:40:44 EDT 2017

Another approach: mask before passing the data to the filter, too.

Unless the unmasked region is very sparse, skipping the masked region in
general will not speed up the computation -- it may even slow it down,
depending on the implementation. This is due to CPU memory cache pipelines
and the need to treat mask boundaries in a special way.

HTH,
Matt