[Insight-users] Applying ImageToHistogramFilter to a specified region

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Sun Sep 18 18:34:58 EDT 2011

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 5:28 AM, Richard Beare <richard.beare at gmail.com>wrote:

> Your best hope is if your application allows you to use a sliding
> window approach - i.e you want to make use of histograms for regions
> centred at every (or almost every) voxel. These work by updating a
> histogram, rather than creating it from scratch every time. Some of
> the review code uses this for various types of filtering, although it
> doesn't use the histogram infrastructure. Check the
> *MovingHistogramImage* filters. I guess you could look at adapting the
> same approach to the ITK histogram. Of course, if you only want to use
> 8 bit images then you're best off with simple 256 entry tables because
> everything will be much faster.

Hi Richard,

I didn't see any tests or examples of MovingHistogramImageFilter, so I
started putting one together:
http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Examples/Broken/Statistics/MovingHistogramImageFilter

The two main things I am missing are:

1) Is there an interface to tell which pixel the filter's kernel is current
centered on? That is, if I want to store the histogram for the region around
every pixel in the image, how would I know which pixel the current histogram
corresponds to?

2) (very related to 1) How do I tell when the filter has moved the kernel
(i.e. when should the current histogram should be saved for the current
pixel and a new one started for the next pixel)?

Thanks,

David