[Insight-users] ITK build error with Mingw64

Gib Bogle g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz
Thu Sep 8 20:39:05 EDT 2011

Hi Alexandre,

It's very puzzling.  I've been through this before, and managed to build ITK
successfully on a W7 machine using MinGW64.  Unfortunately I did not leave a
note to remind myself of what I had to do.  I am now trying to install ITK on
another W7 machine.  Thinking that possibly there is something different about
the MinGW distribution, I have now copied the whole directory over to the new
machine.  I am still getting the intrin.h errors.  The only other possibility is
that the cmake version on the new machine (2.8.5) may be newer than the one I
used on my home machine (I'm not at home now so I can't check this).
Nevertheless, this seems a very unlikely possibility.  BTW the build is "release
static".

It is quite surprising to me that I seem to be the only person using ITK with
64-bit gcc on Windows.  I will now attempt to build it with MSVS-2010.

Gib

On 9/09/2011 12:20 a.m., Alexandre GOUAILLARD wrote:
> Dear gib,
>
> the errors you are pointing out are in gcc's include so its very
> likely that your problem comes from there.
>
> Also note that the support for 64bits is much better in ITK v4 than in
> itk 3.x. You can look there to get info on how to get it:
> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK/Git
>
> There is one host that builds ITK v4 against mingw every night, but It
> looks like it is 32bits only.
> http://public.kitware.com/dashboard.php?name=itk
>
> Maybe Bill Lorensen and/or some kitware guys can help you there. They
> are the usual suspects for minGW questions.
>
> regards,
>
> alex.
>

> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Gib Bogle<g.bogle at auckland.ac.nz>  wrote:
>> I hadn't cleaned properly after first trying to build with BUILD_SHARED_LIBS
>> selected (this fails earlier), then deselecting this and trying again.
>>
>> After a complete restart in an empty directory, the build fails at the same
>> place but with different errors, all like this:
>>
>> :\users\mbog002\mingw64\bin\../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.4.5/include/emmintrin.h:960:
>> error: previous declaration of 'long long int __vector__
>> _mm_unpackhi_epi64(long long int __vector__, long long int __vector__)' with
>> 'C++' linkage
>> c:\users\mbog002\mingw64\bin\../lib/gcc/x86_64-w64-mingw32/4.4.5/../../../../x86_64-w64-mingw32/include/intrin.h:817:
>> error: conflicts with new declaration with 'C' linkage
>>

>> On 8/09/2011 4:18 p.m., Gib Bogle wrote:
>>> I'm building itk-3.20.0 on Windows 7 with Mingw64 (gcc version 4.4.5), and
>>> I'm running into errors.  The build progresses about 80%, then while
>>> building libitkvnl_inst.a I get a large number of error messages that all
>>> seem to be like:
>>>
>>> undefined reference to `vnl_v_vector<unsigned long long>::allocate_T(int)'
>>>
>>> (with variations on vector and matrix, and allocate and deallocate).
>>>
>>> The only configuring I did on cmake was to choose the release build.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Gib