[Insight-users] Padding in synthetic DICOM

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 07:53:23 EDT 2011

Federico,

  Pixel Padding is in the General Equipement so it should be ok to
have this attribute in Secondary Capture Image Storage. Anyway maybe
there is an issue with support of those SOP Class Instance. What i
would do it simply try to convert the Seconday Capture to CT Image
Storage just in case...

2cts

On Thu, Apr 7, 2011 at 2:21 AM, Federico Milano <fmilano at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, I'm generating a synthetic DICOM image with the Insight Toolkit (using
> itk::GDCMImageIO) and I've found two problems:
>
> VolView fails loading my DICOM (with the message: Sorry, the file cannot be
> read). ITK-Snap opens and shows it OK.
> I'm trying to use this image in a Stryker surgical navigator. The problem is
> that the image is loaded ok, but then the padding pixels are shown in a
> certain gray level, showing a box (actually the bounding box) of the image.
> If I load non synthetic DICOMs this doesn't happen.
>
> This is what gdcminfo is showing:
>
> MediaStorage is 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7 [Secondary Capture Image Storage]
> TransferSyntax is 1.2.840.10008.1.2.1 [Explicit VR Little Endian]
> NumberOfDimensions: 2
> Dimensions: (33,159,1)
> Origin: (0,0,0)
>

> Spacing: (1,1,1)
> DirectionCosines: (1,0,0,0,1,0)
> Rescale Intercept/Slope: (0,1)
> SamplesPerPixel    :1
> BitsAllocated      :16
> BitsStored         :16
> HighBit            :15
> PixelRepresentation:0
> ScalarType found   :UINT16
>

> PhotometricInterpretation: MONOCHROME2
> PlanarConfiguration: 0
> TransferSyntax: 1.2.840.10008.1.2.1
> Orientation Label: AXIAL
>
> I'm using unsigned short as pixel type in itk::Image object and I'm setting
> all the padding pixels to 0 (zero), as is suggested by the DICOM standard
> for unsigned scalar images. gdcminfo does not show it, but I'm also setting
> the Pixel Padding (0028,0120) field to zero.
>
> I would really appreciate any hint about this problem.
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Federico

> http://www.itk.org/Wiki/ITK_FAQ

Mathieu