[Insight-users] Padding in synthetic DICOM

Federico Milano fmilano at gmail.com
Wed Apr 6 20:21:10 EDT 2011

Hi, I'm generating a synthetic DICOM image with the Insight Toolkit (using
itk::GDCMImageIO) and I've found two problems:

   1. VolView fails loading my DICOM (with the message: Sorry, the file
   cannot be read). ITK-Snap opens and shows it OK.
   2. I'm trying to use this image in a Stryker surgical navigator. The
   problem is that the image is loaded ok, but then the padding pixels are
   shown in a certain gray level, showing a box (actually the bounding box) of
   the image. If I load non synthetic DICOMs this doesn't happen.

This is what gdcminfo is showing:

MediaStorage is 1.2.840.10008.5.1.4.1.1.7 [Secondary Capture Image Storage]
TransferSyntax is 1.2.840.10008.1.2.1 [Explicit VR Little Endian]
NumberOfDimensions: 2
Dimensions: (33,159,1)
Origin: (0,0,0)

Spacing: (1,1,1)
DirectionCosines: (1,0,0,0,1,0)
Rescale Intercept/Slope: (0,1)
SamplesPerPixel    :1
BitsAllocated      :16
BitsStored         :16
HighBit            :15
PixelRepresentation:0
ScalarType found   :UINT16

PhotometricInterpretation: MONOCHROME2
PlanarConfiguration: 0
TransferSyntax: 1.2.840.10008.1.2.1
Orientation Label: AXIAL

I'm using unsigned short as pixel type in itk::Image object and I'm setting
all the padding pixels to 0 (zero), as is suggested by the DICOM standard
for unsigned scalar images. gdcminfo does not show it, but I'm also setting
the Pixel Padding (0028,0120) field to zero.

I would really appreciate any hint about this problem.

Thanks in advance,

Federico