[Insight-users] LabelObject attributes

Gaëtan Lehmann gaetan.lehmann at jouy.inra.fr
Wed Sep 29 06:06:56 EDT 2010

Le 28 sept. 10 à 01:25, Richard Beare a écrit :

> Hi,

Hi Richard,

> This is always tricky.

sure!

> I'd argue against changing PhysicalSize to Volume, because (as you
> say) it implies a purely 3D measure. On the other hand PhysicalSize
> isn't a name you see elsewhere. It might be best to keep PhysicalSize,
> but make sure that Area and Volume are mentioned in the method
> documentation.

The justification for that are:
* peoples working on geometry seems to simply call a N-dimensional
volume a volume
* LabelStatisticsImageFilter already use that name

I don't like "Volume" much, but I don't like much PhysicalSize either.
I guess there is just no good name.

> Perhaps you could use HyperSphere for the names that currently include
> Sphere, if you are worried about dimensional independence. It gets
> long winded though.

I was also trying to keep names relatively short, so if the Hyper part
is not needed, I'd prefer keeping it away

> Perhaps GreyWeighted instead of Weighted, although that raises issues
> of spelling Grey/Gray. (Could just have both, I guess)

I've thought about IntensityWeighted also, but again I think it makes
the name a lot longer without giving much more clue about it's
definition.

Does it sound right for an english speaker simply with the Weighted
prefix?

> The last question is whether the difference between centroid and
> centre of gravity is too subtle. Perhaps centroid and
> (Gray)WeightedCentroid?

That subject was discussed with a statistician - for him, the
difference was quite clear and WeightedCentroid sound strange. But I
guess our main target is not the statistician community.
Personally, I also prefer WeightedCentroid.

I may have to set up a poll to choose the right name :-)

--
Gaëtan Lehmann