[Insight-users] Algorithm to resample anisotropic volume

Mauro Maiorca mauromaiorca at gmail.com
Thu May 20 09:38:21 EDT 2010

Dear Darren,

I randomly came through this old post, since I'm dealing with a
similar problem (and nobody replied to it) I'm just wondering if you
have already got a solution to it.

In my opinion (please, correct me if I'm wrong), "avoiding severe
anisotropy of pixel dimensions in 3D volumes" (by interpolation,
inpainting, etc) without prior knowledge of the structure to analyse
is an artifact driven process: if the slice thickness is 0.5um, then
you can only image 3D features above the ~ 2*0.5um size (because of
Nyquist). Anything below that range is a mere "guess". Well, I do
believe that when you got the XY resolution *way* greater then the
slice thickness the "guess" is quite accurate (whether a good
interpolation is used), however it is still a guess, and it's hard to
convince people that your guess actually makes sense.  Also, when you
are dealing with organelles' ultrastructure images it seems really
hard to provide a statistical/mathematical model due to the high
variability in size/shape (and the underlying lack of knowledge).

The only solution that makes sense to me is adding information by
using correlative/multimodal imaging techniques merged togethe
r(afterall, it is what they do in the article you pointed out).

I'm looking forward to hearing your opinion.

Cheers,
Mauro