[Insight-users] filter to expand binary mask based on curvature

gregthom gregthom99 at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 4 11:14:24 EST 2009

Greetings

I am working a modeling of 3D structures and for now, I have run into a
problem.
I have a 3D mask of an object where I have 1s inside and 0s outside object.

I create a kind of falloff distribution by convolving this 3D mask with a
Gaussian kernel of standard deviation sigma. Now doing that produces some
"nice results" except for some areas on the border of my mask with high
curvature, the convolution is underestimated.
Now I think if I first expand the mask by these amount before doing the
convolution, I will eliminate this underestimation.

is there any filter in ITK that works on a 3d mask by expanding the mask
locally based on the degree of curvature ?

Best wishes

GT