[Insight-users] DICOM series private tag

Mathieu Malaterre mathieu.malaterre at kitware.com
Fri Feb 23 10:29:14 EST 2007

Alberto Bert wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm trying to read serieses of DICOM 2D files into 3D images. The DICOM
> directory contains several serieses corresponding to time frames, and I'm
> trying to read them in separately 3D images. The GDCMSeriesFileNames does
> a good job, but I need to AddSeriesRestriction. If I use the frame time
> (0054|1300) the list of the series ID is sorted wrongly, so I tried the
> private tag (0009|10d8), but it does not work.
>
> dcmdump shows it to me as:
> 01\00\00\00 for the first frame,
> 02\00\00\00 for the second frame
>
> and so on, but the GDCMSeriesFileNames seems not to be able to use it; it
> makes a single series. Also, if I try to print it from ITK, I get weird
> results, like:
>
> AQAAAA==
>
>  Maybe it's the format of the tag value... I don't know what
> those
> back slashes mean.

For reason beyond my understanding the doxygen page does not have a
documentation for the feature you are looking for:

   /** Parse any private tags in the DICOM file. Defaults to false
    * to skip private tags. This makes loading DICOM files faster when
    * private tags are not needed.
    */
   itkSetMacro(LoadPrivateTags, bool);
   itkGetMacro(LoadPrivateTags, bool);
   itkBooleanMacro(LoadPrivateTags);

http://www.itk.org/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1GDCMSeriesFileNames.html#itk_1_1GDCMSeriesFileNamesz1828_1

Since the default  is to not load private tags, I believe you explicitly
need to turn this on for your case.

HTH
-Mathieu