[Insight-users] Q on Jacobian in "Insight into Images: Principles and Practice for Segmentation, Registration, and Image Analysis"

Pixel Life pixel.to.life at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 00:41:43 EDT 2007

Hi,

I am looking for clarification on a topic published in the book "Insight
into Images: Principles and Practice for Segmentation, Registration, and
Image Analysis". I use it in conjunction with itk examples. (if the question
is not relevant here, please advise).

>From page 31, page 2.4.8, I quote: : "...Where the first derivative
(gradient) is represented as a vector, the second derivative is a matrix,
known as the Jacobian.."

However, on page 249, Jacobian is presented as a matrix of first order
partial derivatives.

Even in all the literature I can find, the term 'Jacobian' is used to
represent a matrix of first order partial derivatives. I did see 'Hessian'
as a representation of 2nd order partial derivatives in a matrix form.

The question is: am I missing some information here (e.g. the terminology?),
or the book on page 31 has a typo?

Thank you for the help.

[Pixel.to.life]