[Insight-users] Simple join-histogram image (MutualInformation)

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Apr 20 12:01:21 EDT 2007

Hi Lars,

You may want to look at the code of the Example:

            ImageMutualInformation1.cxx

In Insight/Examples/Statistics.

This code illustrates how to compute the Joint Histogram of
two images, and then use it to compute Mutual Information,
(no registration involved).

The two images are assumed to have the same image grid
(dimension and number of pixels..)

This example is described in the ITK Software Guide

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In section: 10.3.2 "Image Information Theory",
in particular in pdf-page: 699 - 704.

--

Also, since you are writing the joint histogram in the form
of a 2D image, you may want to use one of the following

   itkHistogramToEntropyImageFilter.h
   itkHistogramToIntensityImageFilter.h
   itkHistogramToLogProbabilityImageFilter.h
   itkHistogramToProbabilityImageFilter.h

They are available in the directory:

     Insight/Code/Numerics/Statistics

The output of these filter can be passed to an
ImageFileWriter.