[Insight-users] how can we calculate the rotation from versor

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Apr 7 18:04:38 EDT 2007

Hi Alireza,

A Versor *IS* a rotation.

A versor is represented using the three first components
of a Quaternion.

Please read the tutorial on Quaternions:

     http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/QuaternionsI.pdf
     http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/QuaternionsII.pdf

and the description of Versors in the Wikipedia:

       http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Versor

The four components of a Quaternion correspond to:

       q0 = Ax * sin( T / 2 )
       q1 = Ay * sin( T / 2 )
       q2 = Az * sin( T / 2 )
       q3 =      cos( T / 2 )

where (Ax,Ay,Az) are the components of the axis
of rotation and T is the angle of rotation.

Versors are composed of only the components

          q0,q1,q2