[Insight-users] lost origin and direction information when writing image to dicom or analyze format

Kent Williams kent at psychiatry.uiowa.edu
Fri Sep 29 13:08:22 EDT 2006

The DICOM file writer definitely uses the origin/direction information
from an image when it writes a file.  The Analyze file writer does this
also, but the Analyze file format only really supports three
orientations, which correspond to the direction cosines as follows

RIP  -- Analyze Coronal
| 1 | | 0 | | 0 |
| 0 | | 0 | |-1 |
| 0 | | 1 | | 0 |

RPI  -- Analyze Transverse

PIR  -- Analyze Sagittal

If you'd care to send me a test program illustrating the problem you're
having, I could perhaps see what's going wrong.