[Insight-users] New user need your help!

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Sep 20 09:25:07 EDT 2006

Hi Jin,

Here is how it works:

For building ITK you need two directories:

1) One directory where you put the source code of ITK

2) Another directory where you are going to put the
    results of compiling ITK (object files, libraries
    and executables).

When you download ITK you expand the .zip, or .tgz
files in the "source directory", the one in (1).

Then you create another directory, that we call the
"binary directory", this is the directory in (2).

Then you run CMake and in the GUI you specify the
"source directory" (1) which is where you put the
source code of ITK, and the "binary directory (2)
which is where you are going to build ITK.

Once you build ITK, then you can move into building
your own project that uses ITK. Again, here you need
two directories. One where the source code of your
project is, and another directory where your project
is going to be compiled.

When you run CMake, you provide the source directory
of your project, the binary directory of your project,
and then CMake is going to ask you where did you put
the binary directory of ITK. That's the directory
that you must put in "ITK_DIR".