[Insight-users] Read DICOM : visualize with VTK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Sep 20 09:19:24 EDT 2006

Hi Brian,

   Yes, you can also use the DICOM reader in VTK.

It all depends on how standard your DICOM images are.

GDCM, the library that manages DICOM reading in ITK
is more powerful than the readers in VTK. But, if your
images are standard, then you may not need the extra
power of GDCM.

     At this point, what you should do is :

              Try it out ! :-)

There is nothing better than a well executed experiment.

In general we don't see VTK to be an alternative to ITK.

The two toolkits are complementary and you get the best
of them by using them together. VTK is a Visualization
Toolkit, while ITK is an Image Analysis Toolkit. In most
cases you need to use them together, and add a GUI toolkit
to the mix, such as Qt, MFC, FLTK or wxWindows.