[Insight-users] RE: [Insight-developers] icosahedron

Alexandre GOUAILLARD Alexandre.Gouaillard at Sun.COM
Mon Sep 18 21:33:03 EDT 2006

hi everyone.

leila,

1. there is no problem to import vtkPolydata to itkMesh, especially if
the polydata is as regular as the output of vtkPlatonicSource. You can
use the filters provided in itkApplications, more specifically
"vtkPolydataToItkMesh" project.
2. You can indeed use the itkQE code which also provide several vtk=>itk
  importers (polydata and UGrid). then you would have a better structure
to work with. To begin with you surface could only be 2-manifold, which
is quite convenient for brain segmentation, isn't it?
BTW: we would need reviews so that would be a good opportunity to get
two birds with one stone ;)
3. we plan to import many filters from vtk to itk, but we haven't
discussed about sources right now. Sources are usually used only once
(and mesh can be stocked) whereas filters have a more important role in
pipelines, thus the priority given to filters.

As for the question of initialisation of snakes, in all our
experimentations, when using trinagle meshes, a regular source is always
  preferable. The vtkMeshSource as two singular vertices for which the
valence is way higher than for the other points, and most deformations
algorithm (and below this, curvature approximation algos) are known to
be very unstable when valence is not 6.
We had in practice the best results with an hybrid algorithm, very simple:
= start from a regular icosahedron (possibly subdivided to match the
sampling you require).
= start loop
    - apply your deformation algorithm
    - if an edge is getting longer than a threshold subdivide both faces
      irregularly (i. e. 1 to 2, or 1 to 3, not 1 to 4).
    - if the quality factor of the triangle is too low, flip an edge.

the irregular subdivision allow you to control the sampling: if you have
one part of the mesh getting into a long sock-like part, you need to
adapt locally the sampling/connectivity of the mesh to achieve good results.
the flipping is a cheap way to keep your mesh quality high. Algorithms
are often sensitive to that.

Hope this helps.