[Insight-users] Combining transforms in registration?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Sep 3 09:25:49 EDT 2006

Hi Jaety,

You have the option of using an even better solution.

Since you know the rotation parameters, you can simply use them
for initializing the rotational component of the Rigid transform.

You don't need to create any new Transform for doing this,
just use the itkVersorRigid3DTransform, and use the rotation
parameters in the Versor. Note that if what you have are Euler
angles, you should convert them to a Versor by passing first
through a rotaion matrix.

What you should carefully choose is the "Center of Rotation"
this parameter is of great importance, since it relates closely
to the Translation that you will obtain at the end.

For details on this relationships, please read the ITK Software Guide:

          htt://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

in particular the Section on "Transforms" in the "Image Registration"
Chapter.

By playing with the parameters scaling values, you can arrange
for the optimizer to focus on changing the translation parameters
of the Rigid transform and leaving almost unchanged the rotational
parameters.