[Insight-users] Q: Approaches for convolution with a general kernel

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu May 26 16:05:18 EDT 2005

Hi Stefan,

A convolution kernel of 40x40 is actually quite large.

You should definitely consider your second option of
using filtering in the Fourier domain.

You will find an example on the use of the FFT filters
available in ITK into the directory:

        Insight/
             Examples/
                   Filtering/
                       FFTImageFilter.cxx

If performance at run time is a concern, you should
also install the FFTW library in your system.

Otherwise, ITK will use the FFT available from VNL.