[Insight-users] Q: Approaches for convolution with a general kernel

Stefan group at spellgen.com
Thu May 26 13:11:18 EDT 2005

I have implemented convolution with a general kernel with other tools
but I'd like to try this out using ITK, but I am new to the toolkit and
a little lost in the many concepts. A high-level suggestion of
approaches for this problem would be appreciated...

I have a relatively small-sized 2D kernel (no more than 40x40 pixels)
that I want to use for convolution with images of about 1000x1000
pixels. I can either calculate this by brute force or do the convolution
in Fourier transform space. I do not find a lot of references to this
problem in the documentation, but it seems like a common enough problem
that I must have missed something. My current plan is to work from the
Sobel edge-detection code and develop a direct-calculation routine from
that. Any suggestions for alternative places to start?

Thanks in advance,

Stefan Engstrom