[Insight-users] Slice Registration: Landmark based rigid transform

Kevin H. Hobbs kevin.hobbs.1 at ohiou.edu
Thu May 12 15:48:06 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-05-12 at 14:41 -0400, Karthik Krishnan wrote:
> Kevin:
>
> You are probably looking for a landmark transform in ITK. There are a few based on TPS
> http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ThinPlateSplineKernelTransform.html
> http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ThinPlateR2LogRSplineKernelTransform.html
> http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ElasticBodyReciprocalSplineKernelTransform.html
> http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ElasticBodySplineKernelTransform.html
> http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VolumeSplineKernelTransform.html

I'll have to take a look at the paper to see if those might be of use I
can't really tell from the Doxygen.

> Unfortunately it looks like there isn't a rigid landmark based method of initializaing registration. It would be nice to have a LandmarkBasedTransformInitializer just like
> the CenteredTransformInitializer class. If you need one, let me know and I can add one to ITK. (for rigid and affine transforms). If you would like to do that, it would be perfect. Let me know.

I'm a bit confused by the "Initializer" part.  At least with
registration pins.  I guess I'm thinking once the pins line up the
registration is done.  That's why the pins are there.

> For reference see VTK:  Hybrid/vtkLandmarkTransform.
> It takes any number of landmarks (1 to n) and finds the appropriate rigid/affine transform that aligns the two images in a least squares sense.
>
> Thanks
> regards
> karthik

The vtkLandmarkTransform sounds very much like what I want.  I'll look
at VTK landmarks too and see if I see a clear path.  I'm beginning to
think that this is easier than I thought it was this morning.  All I
have to do is find the pins in each image, record their positions, and
translate the images.  I could even find them automatically with the
feature extraction and have them marked as spatial objects just like in
The software guide ch 9.5 and the example.