[Insight-users] Question about Registration method

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun May 1 10:57:41 EDT 2005

Hi Javier,

Short answer:  The method will fail.

Long answer:  Registration methods assume that a real similarity
               exists between the two images being registered.

You must help the registration process by providing an appropriate
initialization of the transform. This is particularly important
when you use deformable registration methods.

I would assume that you are using Mutual Information as the metric.
In this particular case, MI can match these two image in many different
ways, and all of them are equally valid as far as the concept of MI
is concerned.

Before attempting to perform any Deformable registration, you must
verify that the images are good enough for successfully performing
an Affine or at least a Rigid registration on them.