[Insight-users] Are there limitations to image size?

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Tue Mar 29 14:37:31 EST 2005

The only limitation is the amount of memory your machine has and
what the OS allows it to access.  For instance, on Windows 2000,
a process can only access 1GB of memory, regardless of how much
physical or virtual memory your machine has (this limit can be
increased to 2GB by running Windows 2000 server).

ITK images are stored as contiguous blocks of memory, so your
computer needs to have a large block of memory available.

An 800x800x525 has 336M pixels.  If your pixels are chars, one image
requires 336MB.  If they are shorts, one image requires 672MB. If
they are floats are 1.34GB.

Jim