[Insight-users] Re: optimization of Active countour

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Mar 5 13:36:41 EST 2005

Hi Yasser,

This is the reality of segmentation and registration methods:

                   "They have parameters"

That's the reason why any statement about a segmentation process
is useless when it is not accompanied of the parameters used for
running the code.

Variations on the parameters may have dramatic effects on the
output of the segmentation (or registration).

It will be hard to match a manual segmentation by using a level
set. Also, keep in mind that the fact that we call a manual segmentation
a "ground truth" most manual segmentation are relatively poor in shape
and tend to lack coherence from one slice to another. Therefore, the
fact that your segmentation is not perfectly matching a manual
segmentation, is not necessarily a bad thing.

If your images have homogeneous regions in the tumor, then you are
in the lucky situation where a region growing algorithm can be used.
They tend to be faster than level sets. Note that in that situation
you could also use something like the ThresholdLevelSetSegmentation
filter, which gives a good compromise between the simplicity of
region growing and the smoothness control of LevelSets.