[Insight-users] Re: More Qs about DICOM image

laurent.paul at club-internet.fr laurent.paul at club-internet.fr
Thu Apr 28 13:00:03 EDT 2005

Hi luis, Hi all,

Sorry to dig up this message but it contains a piece of answer to my problem.

I want to read a dicom serie to convert it to a volume.
so far, i used a soft which do that, i tried too the MRIconvert which is a good converting tool. but it's not a good solution to use multiple softwares for one goal
Plus, my goal is to create a "software" (in the future) which will register, threshold.... and do some other things. For instance, I build several *.exe to achieve my goal. So I use ITK and DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx (for example) to read the serie.

Dicom images are CT with an intercept value (-1000) ans slope (1). The range of images is [0 3000]. So, when I convert images into volume, it maps pixel's value to [-1000 2000]. When I visualize the volume with a certain software (MRicro which takes care of intercept value but doesn't make any difference between signed and unsigned]), the image is inverted. I mean black is white and white is black (it looks like a song!?). If I open with the "open raw" function of Volview, I can specify if datas are signed
or unsigned ints, the volume looks good.

I don't understand how the reader acts. I look at the hexadecimal value in the dicom file and in the resulting volume. In Dicom, the black is 0x0000. In Analyze, that's 0x18FC. I'm wondering how the convertion is made because data type is unsigned int, and the  black value in my volume is -1000. How does it work?

Second question:
Is that could be a problem to handle the data, crop the volume, register volumes... ?

Thanks a lot,

Laurent.

<-----