[Insight-users] itk::ExceptionObject (00FEF84C) - Failed toallocate memory for image

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Mon Apr 25 15:42:51 EDT 2005

What operating system are you using?

Standard Windows systems only allow a process to access a little over 1GB of memory.  On linux, I this limit is about 3GB.

What filters/algorithms are you trying to use?  To process your data, you will probably need about 1.6GB (800 MB for input and 800 MB for output).

1. Some ITK filters can run "in place" where the output overwrites the input.  Depending on the filters you are using, you may be able to set InPlaceOn() on the filter.
2. Set ReleaseDataFlagOn() on filters.  This will tell the filter to delete the input memory once the output is calculated.  You will need to be able to address 1.6 GB of memory since the input and output will have to exist for the duration of the filter computation.  However, if you have a N stage pipeline, your memory requiresments would remain 1.6GB instead of N*800MB.
3. Streaming.  Many ITK filters can stream where portions of the output are calculated a piece at a time.  You may still need to address 1.6 GB of memory to for hold the input and the final output.  Take a look at the StreamingImageFilter.
4. Handle the memory management at the application level.  Iteratively read sections of your data (and process the sections individually or build a lower resolution dataset).

Jim