[Insight-users] Number of spacial samples Mattes MI metric

jef vdmb jvdmb at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 18 12:55:34 EDT 2005

Hi,

I am working on a 2D- 3D registration problem using the Mattes
implementation of Mutual Information. One of the parameters to be set is the
number of spacial samples. The Softwareguide says:

The number of spatial samples to be used depends on the content of the
image. If the images are smooth and do not contain much detail, then using
approximately 1 percent of the pixels will do. On the other hand, if the
images are detailed, it may be necessary to use a much higher proportion,
such as 20 percent.

Does this mean 1 or 20 percent of the total amount of pixels in BOTH images
(fixed as well as moving)? This would mean a very high number of samples (~
30000 to ~800000).

Do I have to choose a number of histogram bins that is equally augmented?

Thanks you for any advice you can give me,

Jef