[Insight-users] Which filter does the 3D volume shrinking?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sun Apr 3 10:54:33 EDT 2005

Hi Ashish,

You are right,

The MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MultiResolutionPyramidImageFilter.html
can also be used for Shrinking an image.

Note however that the main purpose of this filter is to
prepare images for the MultiResolution registration framework.

There is a significant amount of overhead in this filter if you
use it only for Shrinking an image. The Pyramid filter performs
a sequences of Gaussian smoothing operations followed by
subsampling with the ResampleImageFilter.

The Gaussian smoothing is preventing aliasing effects during the
resampling process. You may or may not need this smoothing depending
on the content of spatial frequencies in the image.

If the purpose of the shrinking is just to have one subsampled
image, the Pyramid filter may be an overkill. But if the purpose
is to prepare a series of images for multi-resolution registration,
then the pyramid filter is a good way to go.