[Insight-users] MultiResMIRegistration problem

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Apr 2 11:15:20 EST 2005

Hi Laurent,

      Coffee always helps !!

Here are some things that you may want to do before passing
your images to the MultiResMIRegistration program:

1) Convert your DICOM series to a format that uses a single
    image. You can do this with the programs in

        Insight/Examples/IO/
           DicomSeriesReadImageWrite.cxx
           DicomSeriesReadImageWrite2.cxx

    or with the GUI applicaition MRIConvert

        http://lcni.uoregon.edu/~jolinda/MRIConvert

2) You must crop the CT image in order to contain only the
    region that will match the PET image. This will save
    *a lot* of computing time, and will prevent the registration
    from falling into false positive matchings.

3) You should rescale the intensities of the CT and the PET
    in order to highlight the structures that you expect to
    be matched. For example, body contours.  This is important
    because Mutual Information uses a joint histogram that covers
    the entire dynamic range of each image. If structures that
    are supposed to match between the PET and CT images are
    restricted to a small region of intensities in the histogram
    then the Mutual Information metric will be less sensitive to
    the 'goodness' of the matching.

    You can use the filters:

           RescaleIntensityImageFilter
           IntensityWindowingImageFilter

    for that purpose.
    You want to make sure that after this filters, you images
    only have intensities in the range of the anatomical structures
    that are visible both in the CT and PET images simultaneously.

4) You should read the documentation of this application:

        InsightApplications/
                 MultiResMIRegistration/
                                 ReadMe.doc
                                 ReadMe.pdf

5) You can also try the application

       InsightApplications/
         LandmarkInitializedMutualInformationRegistration

    (if you don't feel like building it, you can download
     the binary version from the UNC CADDLab web site)

           http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu/software/
http://caddlab.rad.unc.edu/software/request.php?file=3DRegistrationTool/3DRegistrationTool_win.zip

Please let us know if you still have any questions,