[Insight-users] Questions about 3D Level Set Method

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Sat Apr 2 10:33:34 EST 2005

Hi Jay,

What is your surface representation ?

I don't quite see how are you extracting a surface by doing
2D ridge detection along Z...

Is your surface a tube with the axis parallel to Z ?
in that case I would expect that you do 2D ridge detection
along XY and then connect ridges along Z.

Level Set are certainly a good option for filling holes,
however, depending on your surface representation, you
may find useful to use other simpler methods such as the
Voting filters:

http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VotingBinaryImageFilter.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VotingBinaryHoleFillingImageFilter.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VotingBinaryIterativeHoleFillingImageFilter.html

If your image looks more like an ultrasound (which probably
is to expect from a radar image...) you may consider some
model-based methods for extracting contours.

Maybe a screenshot of one of your images will help us to
understand the nature of your problem...