[Insight-users] registration for tiled volume

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Mon Sep 27 13:25:33 EDT 2004

Hi Rocky,

Thanks for letting us know that the procedure is working for you.

Given that you are setting the origin and spacing correctly, you
could probably skip the careful definition of the FixedImageRegion.
However, you will save *a lot* of computation time by setting this
region because the Metric will be computed using only the pixels
inside that region. If you let the image region open, the metric
will be computed using the entire image, and most of the time
your code will be just testing whether a pixel maps inside of the
moving image.

One way to actually stitch the images together is to create an image
large enough for containing the group of images that you want see
together in a single file, and then use the itkResampleImageFilter,
in order to actually move the intensities to that destination image.

The blending policy is arguable. It is common to do it as a linear
blending where the weights are related to how close the pixel is
from the non-overlapping border of each image. You may have to
experiment a bit on this front, since it depends a lot on how similar
the two overlapping image are (e.g. hopping that there are no
optical distortions or illumination artifacts. Modern microscopes are
quite good regarding aberration elimination, so you probably will not
have any issues of that sort.

We will be very happy to support you in creating a higher level
class for performing stitching. There is a growing number of people
using ITK for microscopy applications and they will certainly be
interested in such new classes.