[Insight-users] registration for tiled volume

Rocky Rhodes rhodes at sgi.com
Mon Sep 27 11:22:12 EDT 2004

Thanks.  I've already begun experimenting with just this procedure.  I
started out by having each block use the same image coordinate space.  I
selected the overlap region as the FixedImageRegion and set initial
parameters for the search to position the blocks approximately correct.
This seemed to give me reasonable results.

Then I tried using the MetaImage format to carry the consistent image
coordinates for the blocks.  With this information added, the registration
class does its job without me setting the FixedImageRegion parameter.
Should this still be set or is the registration framework smart enough to
only use the spatially overlapping region for its metric calculation?

The individual files I have from this device are smaller than I'd like.
What would be the most straightforward way to stitch them together into
larger blocks, once I've determined proper transformation information with
the registration classes?  And then I wonder if there would be any other
issues.  For instance, after stitching together the first two blocks, the
axis-aligned bounding box enclosing the two blocks may now contain some
voxels that are outside the coverage of either of the original blocks.  When
blending this new block with a third block, I need to make sure that only
the "full" voxels are blended with the third block.

Higher level classes for microscopy applications seem like a good idea to
me.  After I get a little experience with this first pass, maybe I can help
out with it.

	Rocky