[Insight-users] Can ITK register successive point cloud data files?

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Thu Sep 16 18:39:43 EDT 2004

Hi Darren,

Yes, ITK can be used for registering two clouds of points.
The typical method for doing this is ICP (Iterative Closest Point).

You will find an implementation of this method in ITK.

In practice you can probably run directly the ICP example
over your data.

Please look at the examples

     Insight/Examples/Registration
               IterativeClosestPoint1.cxx  (2D case)
               IterativeClosestPoint2.cxx  (3D case)
               IterativeClosestPoint3.cxx  (3D with distance map)

You can simply use [IterativeClosestPoint2.cxx] directly.
The input for this example is expected to be in a very
plain file format. You will find input examples under

      Insight/Examples/Data/
                IterativeClosestPointFixedPoints2.txt
                IterativeClosestPointMovingPoints2.txt

It just have the X,Y,Z coordinates of the points in
ascii format.

It is likely that you will have to fine tune the parameters
of the registration in order to make it converge for your
data.

In particular you should pay attention to the translation
scaling (look at the example code for details), and to the
Number of iterations and gradient tolerance. These last
parameters control the convergence criterion that stops the
registration.