[Insight-users] Can ITK register successive point cloud data files?

Darren Hill dhill at smartpipe.net
Wed Sep 15 11:09:29 EDT 2004

I have just started looking into ITK (and am not a programmer) and need some
help.  I have been developing a system that uses a laser to accurately scan
a cylindrical surface.  The laser scans the surface by moving in the
circumferential direction and then advances axially so that an overlapping
section is created between successive strips of data.  Each strip is
approximately 50 mm (2") wide and the circumferential length of the strips
are constant and are dependant on the diameter of the cylinder.  The
apparatus consists of a cylindrical track for circumferential motion and a
linear track for axial motion.  The system that has been constructed thus
far aligns the strips to within +/- 1 mm (0.040") but is limited by the
rigidity of the system.
I am using TecPlot to visualize the date but I would like to know if ITK can
register 3D point cloud data and if so would someone be interested in
providing me with a basic software program that would make the minor
adjustments that I need (translation and rotation) to get the strips of data
to be accurately registered relative to one another?
Sample data is available at your request (The 3 dimensional data (X ,Y and Z
coordinates) are in CSV format).
Any help or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Regards,
Darren