[Insight-users] gdcm + ITK installation problems

angelo.salamini at libero.it angelo.salamini at libero.it
Mon Sep 13 04:44:03 EDT 2004

Title: gdcm + ITK installation problems

Hi to all,
I am Angelo. I try to install gdcm for the use with ITK, but i encountered some
problem with the installation. I try different procedure but in all the cases I
encountered installation errors.

On my computer i have the following configuration:
VTK 4.5.0 installed
ITK 1.8.0 installed
Visual Studio 6.0 installed.
S.O. Windows 2000 Professional edition installed.

In gdcm help I read the following procedure:
1. Retrieve the sources through the tarball
2. Launch VC++ by opening the gdcm.dsw workspace.
3. Proceed with building the required projects.

So I try the following procedure:

1. gdcm installation by the executable file: "gdcm-0.4.exe" (Full installation)
[Note: if i try to open the workspace "gdcm.dsw" Visual Studio require the
following projects:
_vtkGdcm.dsp
gdcmTestDicomDir.dsp
gdcmTestDicomDir2.dsp
gdcmpyembedded.dsp
vtkGdcmTest.dsp
but they don't exist in gdcm directory!!!]
2. run CMake to configure ITK with option "USE_GDCM"

CMake give me the follow error message:

This project requires some variables to be set and cmake can not find them.
Please set the following variables:
GDCM_CONFIGURE_INCLUDE_DIR
GDCM_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)
GDCM_SHARED_LIBRARY (ADVANCED)
VTKGDM_INCLUDE_DIR (ADVANCED)

So i try to install gdcm using the zip file "gdcm-0.4.zip":

1. I unzip  "gdcm-0.4.zip"  in my work directory: "C:\Kitware\GDCM-GnuDicom\gdcm\"
2. so I open the workspace "gdcm.dsw" with Visual Studio, in this case is not
present the precedent problem with the missing project files.
3. In menu "Build" i press "rebuild all" .

In that case the compiler give me the following error message:
Performing Custom Build Step on \bin\vtkwrappython
"\Kitware\GDCM-GnuDicom\gdcm\vtk\vtkGdcmReader.h"
\Examples\Build\vtkMy\Wrapping\hints 1  .\..\vtkGdcmReaderPython.cxx
Impossibile trovare il percorso specificato. (Impossible to find the specify path)
Error executing c:\winnt\system32\cmd.exe.

vtkgdcmPython.dll - 1 error(s), 0 warning(s)
The following environment variables were not found
$(VTKPATH)
$(CREATIS)

I notice that in the path:
"C:\Kitware\VTK-VisualizationToolkit\vtk42\Examples\Build\vtkMy\Wrapping" there
is a file (without extension) named "hints" but the directory "hint1" doesn't
exist.
Also, the file named "vtkGdcmReaderPython.cxx too" doesn't exist on my computer.

I notice too, that if i install gdcm from the executable file "gdcm-0.4.exe"
(Full installation) the file named "vtkGdcmReaderPython.cxx too" exist in the
following directory: "C:\Kitware\GDCM-GnuDicom\gdcm\vtk" that is different to
the one indicated by the C++ compiler.

Please, somebody can tell me what's wrong?
Thank you.

Ing. Angelo Salamini