[Insight-users] about Magic Number

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Sep 8 11:00:05 EDT 2004

Hi Angelo,

As an alternative you may want to try GDCM. This is an open
source package for reading/writing DICOM files.

You can download gdcm from:

    http://www.creatis.insa-lyon.fr/Public/Gdcm/

Mathieu Malaterre added a GDCMImageIO wrapper to ITK for
taking advantage of the functionalities available in gdcm.

Given that there are so many variants of DICOM files, it is
not possible to guarantee that gdcm will be able to read your
specific file. It is just one option that you may want to try.

Once you build and install "gdcm" in your system you will have
to rerun CMake in ITK, go to "Advanced" options and enable
"USE_GDCM", then provide the location where you installed gdcm.

gdcm will deal with JPEG compressed DICOM files, although not
with all of the compression variants.