[Insight-users] Separation of joined non-rigid "trapzoids" in 2D image.

Yuanxin Zhu zhu4 at scripps.edu
Tue Sep 7 18:10:09 EDT 2004

Hello, Fellow ITK Users,

I work on a 2D image segmentation problem using ITK. The objects to be
segmented out are roughly non-rigid trapezoid in binary or gray-scale
images. The boundaries of the trapezoids are moderately corrupted by noise.

The current difficulty I have is that many times 2 or more objects,
that are joined/connected together with an unknown orientation, must
be segmented out and separated from one another. A good thing is that
the number of objects can be estimated quite accurately so far though the
way how they joined are unknown. Currently, I plan to solve the problem in
the framework of image registration. Given an example binary trapezoid as
the reference image, I wondering if there is a class or set of classes
in ITK can register the reference object to each of the multiple objects
that connected with each other.

To put it in another way, is there an ITK tool capable of register one
object in a fixed image to multiple joint objects in a moving image?

I'd appreciate any ideas you may have in regard to solving the problem
using either existing ITK tools or other image segmentation algorithms.

Thank you so much in advance.

Yuanxin

P.S. example images are available upon request.

Yuanxin Zhu, Ph.D., Staff Scientist
National Resource for Automated Molecular Microscopy
Center for Integrative Molecular Biosciences and Department
of Cell Biology
The Scripps Research Institute
MSC CB129
10550 North Torrey Pines Road, La Jolla, CA 92037, USA
phone: 858-784-9092; fax: 858-784-9090
homepage: http://www.scripps.edu/~zhu4/  email: zhu4 at scripps.edu