[Insight-users] Repost: Performance comparison

Fri Sep 3 08:12:16 EDT 2004

Sorry: This is a repost. Unfortunately the original message went out BEFORE I was finally subscribed to the list. Since I haven't seen the original message but others that went over the mailing list, I decided to send it again (hope it's okay).

Hi ITK users,

at first: Hi all. I'm a CS student from Aachen (Germany) starting with my PhD studies. I'll be working on the field of image analysis and that got me interested in ITK.

What I would like to know (but didn't find via Google) is, what processing speed / performance I can expect from ITK in relation to the hardware it runs on and how that performance compares with - as an example - OpenCV or Matlab where algorithms exist in each toolset. Is there some extensive (or even a small) test report out somewhere?

If not, I would like to do one, but I'd need some ideas on reasonable scenarios. For example I'd appreciate some hints which algorithms are mostly dependant on

- processor speed (integer, float, vectorization?)
- memory throughput
- cache
- other factors (which?)

to put a setup together that really helps people making good estimates on which software/hardware combination would lead to which execution time.

I already have some experience with VTK and even did some investigations on execution speed on our university's machines (Sun Fire vs. x86 PCs vs. PowerPC vs. MIPS, KCC vs. GCC vs. WSpro and different compiler settings), that proved major differences in execution time (up to factor 10 on the same machine with different compilers / compiler settings). However, these test were for internal purposes and I only cared for my projects needs.

Thanks in advance,

Mark