[Insight-users] Questions about TPS in ITK

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Tue Nov 23 23:24:49 EST 2004

Hi Weihua,

1) When you configure InsightApplications with CMake you
    *MUST* do it from the top directory of InsightApplications.

    It seems that you did it from the ThinPlateSplines directory
    and therefore some of the global CMake variables cannot be
    found.

    This application is just a *demo* on how to use the Kernel
    Transforms and how to integrate ITK with VTK and FLTK.

    It doesn't expect any input and it doesn't produce any
    output, other than the visualization of the splines.

    A brief description of this application is available at

         http://www.itk.org/HTML/ThinPlateSplines.htm

2) The TPS is implemented in ITK as a "Transform". You configure
    this transform by passing a set of "Source" landmarks and
    a set of "Target" landmarks.

    The class in question is
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ThinPlateSplineKernelTransform.html

    closely related classes are all ones derived from the KernelTransform
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1KernelTransform.html

    namely
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ElasticBodyReciprocalSplineKernelTransform.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ElasticBodySplineKernelTransform.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1ThinPlateR2LogRSplineKernelTransform.html
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1VolumeSplineKernelTransform.html

    You may want to look at the example:

      Insight/Examples/Registration
                         LandmarkWarping2.cxx

    Which uses a deformation field generator based on a Kernel Transform.
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1DeformationFieldSource.html

3) You may want to look also at the ITK plugin
    for VolView in

              InsightApplications/VolviewPlugIns/
                              vvITKLandmarkWarping.cxx

    The free version of VolView can be donwloaded from

        http://www.kitware.com/products/volview.html

    The most recent binary build of the ITK VolView plugins
    is available at

       ftp://public.kitware.com/pub/itk/VolViewPlugins/