[Insight-users] questions about the mutualinformationHistogramImageToImageMetric

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Fri Nov 12 08:18:25 EST 2004

Hi Lanlanny,

Please look at the example program:

      Insight/Examples/Registration/
                          ImageRegistration14.cxx

It registers two images of different modality using the

   itkNormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric

The Metric *does* consider only the overlap region between the
Fixed image and the transformed Moving image.

You can easily verify this by looking a the file

                            Insight/Code/Algorithms/
itkNormalizedMutualInformationHistogramImageToImageMetric.txx

in particular to lines 69 to 102.

This use of the overlap region is, by the way, something that *all* the
ITK Image Metrics do.

Notice that in addition to that you can use the optional FixedImageMask
and MovingImageMask in order to further restrict the region that
contributes to the computation of the metric.

For examples on the use of the RegularGradientDescentOptimizer
please look at the following files:

   Insight/Examples/Registration/
                     ImageRegistration1.cxx
                     ImageRegistration12.cxx
                     ImageRegistration13.cxx
                     ImageRegistration2.cxx
                     ImageRegistration3.cxx
                     ImageRegistration3.py
                     ImageRegistration3.tcl
                     ImageRegistration4.cxx
                     ImageRegistration4.py
                     ImageRegistration4.tcl
                     ImageRegistration5.cxx
                     ImageRegistration5.py
                     ImageRegistration5.tcl
                     ImageRegistration6.cxx
                     ImageRegistration7.cxx
                     ImageRegistration9.cxx
                     MultiResImageRegistration1.cxx
                     MultiResImageRegistration2.cxx

and, of course, we *strongly* encourage you to read the Chapter on
Image Registration from the ITK Software Guide

          http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

Please let us know if you have any further questions,