[Insight-users] Re: ITK1.8 increased space?

Miller, James V (Research) millerjv at crd.ge.com
Thu Nov 11 08:54:51 EST 2004

Vincent,

You might want to check into building RelWithDebInfo instead
of both Release and Debug.  You can setup a RelWithDebInfo
build by adding RelWithDebInfo to your CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES (should be
an advanced option
in CMakeSetup).

CMAKE_CONFIGURATION_TYPES:STRING=Debug;Release;RelWithDebInfo

RelWithDebInfo uses most of the compiler optimization of
Release but also have enough Debugging information so that
you can find out why a program crashed.  It also has
enough debugging information so that you can run
memory checking software like Purify or performance
checking software like Quantify.

I almost exclusively use a RelWithDebInfo build.  The
execution times are fast but when something crashes I
can usually figure out why.  Since RelWithDebInfo is
an optimized build, not all variables will be available
in the debugger (some variables get optimized away). But
the call stack is usually in pretty good shape so that
you can at least know the line of code where the program
crashed.

I can do about 95% of my debugging on a RelWithDebInfo
build.  The last 5% of the time, I have to break down
and build a debug version.

Jim