[Insight-users] All zeros displacement field when using DeformableRegistration1

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed Nov 10 17:44:57 EST 2004

Hi Barbara,

About your questions:

1) When you compute a deformation field in Image Registration,
    the pixels in the deformation field are vectors that indicate
    how you should move in physical space in order to go from one
    pixel in one of the images to the corresponding matching pixel
    in the other image.

    The magnitude of the vectors in the deformation field should
    therefore be interpreted in physical units of length
    (e.g. millimeters).

    The reason for my question is that if you end up with a deformation
    field whose pixel vectors have values in the range of the thousands,
    while you are registering images whose extent is in the range of
    the hundreds, then that will indicate that the deformation field
    if displacing the image *so far* that there is no overlap between
    the mapped image and the reference image.  This will result in a
    resampled image that is full of zero pixels.  That's the situation
    I was referring to as "extreme deformation".

    After your response... that doesn't seem to be the case of your data.
    since you have pixel spacings of 0.32 millimeters, and displacement
    vectors in the range of 10, so most pixels are being mapped to
    positions that are 3 pixels away from its current site.

2)  An Histogram count is *suspicious* given that you are dealing with
     float images.  Computing an histogram of a float image is not as
     trivial as it may sound.  You have to be careful with the setup of
     the minimum and maximum values of the histogram, the number of bins
     and so on.

     It is possible for example that your image is plenty of information
     in the range 0.1 to 0.9, and that you are attempting to compute an
     histogram for the classical 8 bit range of 0-255.  In that case all
     the values of the image will appear as Zeros, despite the fact that
     they contain useful and valid information.

     Please let us know how did you computed this histogram.

     You could double check those values by connecting the MaximumMinimum
     image calculator to your output image and printing the result of the
     Maximum and Minimum pixel values.

Something that you may want to try rapidly is to save the "zero" image
using a MetaImage file format, and load it in ParaView, where you will
be able to see the entire range of the intensities form the suspect
image.

ParaView is an open source and free application that can be downloaded
from

                 http://www.paraview.org

you will find binary build for most major platforms.

   Please let us know what you find,