[Insight-users] ITK compilation with VTK

Gavin Baker gavinb+xtk at cs.mu.OZ.AU
Fri, 26 Mar 2004 10:05:25 +1100

Hllo Vasily,

On Thu, Mar 25, 2004 at 03:24:55PM +0200, Vasily Goncharenko wrote:

> I had previously compiled VTK with USE_ANSI_STDLIB flag enabled, and I
> tried to compile ITK with VTK but CMakeSetup did not show the USE_VTK
> option. Why is it that, and How I can compile ITK with VTK?

ITK does not have a USE_VTK option - it is the InsightApplications package
that does.  You should be able to do a regular build of both ITK and VTK and
use them together (probably along with the bridging classes).

Originally the applications were in the same repository, but have long since
been separated, to avoid dependencies.  Now ITK does not depend on any
particular GUI or viz toolkit (but works beautifully with many).

You will find the classes that integrate ITK with VTK in the
InsightApplications/Auxiliary directory.  Also, make sure that the release
of the core Insight library and InsightApplications match.

The USE_VTK option will simply build the example apps that use VTK.  If you
wish to use VTK in your own ITK app, what people seem to do is copy the
appropriate files from the Auxiliary directory into their own project, and
just add the appropriate lines in CMakeLists.txt to compile them in.

Regards,

  :: Gavin

--
Gavin Baker                                      Complex Systems Group
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gavinb             The University of Melbourne