[Insight-users] Big-O time complexity of level set segmentation?

Zachary Pincus zpincus at stanford.edu
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 13:45:28 -0800

Hello,

Does anyone know what the approximate time complexity of the level set
segmentation methods in ITK are?

I ask because I have a task that involves segmenting multiple cells per
image field. I can either segment each cell separately (grow a new
level set for one cell, then the next, etc) or segment in parallel
(seed the level set at, say, the centroids of every cell at once).
Which methods is preferable depends on the big-O time complexity of
level set segmentation.

For example, if the level set methods are, say, O(n log n), where n is
the size of the front, then it clearly makes sense to segment each cell
individually. If the complexity is O(n) then it doesn't matter whether
you do each cell individually, or all in parallel. And of course, if
it's O(log n) then there is substantial time savings to doing the image
at once.

Does anyone have an idea about the complexity of these methods, as
implemented by ITK?

Thanks,

Zach Pincus

Department of Biochemistry and Program in Biomedical Informatics
Stanford University School of Medicine