[Insight-users] Geodesic Active Contour and narrowbanding

Raul San Jose Estepar rjosest at bwh.harvard.edu
Fri, 12 Mar 2004 17:58:15 +0100

Hi Anders,

The GeodesicActiveContourLevelSetImageFilter is using a SparseField
solver. This solver can be seen as a more specialized narrowband solver.
If you want to know more detail about how this solver works you could read
Whitaker, Ross. A Level-Set Approach to 3D Reconstruction from Range
Data. International Journal of Computer Vision. V. 29 No. 3, 203-231.
1998.

Under the finite difference framework, you can find three kind of solvers:
1. DenseField
2. SparseField
3. NarrowBand

If you are interested in a standard NarrowBand solver you should try the
classes under NarrowBandImageFilterBase. A filter you may want to try is
itkNarrowBandCurvesImageFilter.
Curves use an evolution equation similar to GeodesicActiveContour but
using minimal curvature instead of mean curvature. You can switch
between mean and minimal curvature setting up the appropriate variable.

If you are interested in building up a
NarrowBandGeodesicActiveContourLevelSetImageFilter you could take as
template itkNarrowBandCurvesImageFilter. Basically you have to inherit
from NarrowBandLevelSetImageFilter and plug the plug the levelset
equation you want to use, in this case,
GeodesicActiveContourLevelSetFunction.

/Raul