[Insight-users] some information on the registration example methods

Luis Ibanez luis.ibanez at kitware.com
Wed, 03 Mar 2004 20:19:05 -0500

Hi Michael,

It is great to have users who
post messages when things work   !   :-)

--

About the deformable registration example,
You can reduce the computation time by

     PDEDeformableRegistrationFilter
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1PDEDeformableRegistrationFilter.html

The MultiResolution variant of this class is the
http://www.itk.org/Insight/Doxygen/html/classitk_1_1MultiResolutionPDEDeformableRegistration.html

What you want to do in this case is to progressively
refine the deformation field by computing first a
low resolution version of it. In this way you reduce
the time to convergence and improve the robustness
of the registration.

You will find information on the ITK registration
framework in the Software Guide:

     http://www.itk.org/ItkSoftwareGuide.pdf

In particular Chapter 8.

(you can order the paper version of this document
from Amazon.com and from Kitware's estore)
http://www.kitware.com/products/itkguide.html

You will also find details on the theory behind
algorithms implemented in ITK, in the book
"Insight into Images" published by A.K. Peters
http://www.akpeters.com/book.asp?bID=206

The tutorial session on deformable registration
presented by Dr. James Gee will also be illuminating:
http://www.itk.org/CourseWare/Training/NonRigidRegistrationMethods.pdf

Please let us know if you have further questions.

   Thanks,

     Luis